ua

ua

Monday, November 14, 2022

Rare Earth: Get Ready 1969

 

Hailing from Detroit, Rare Earth were a band inspired by the Motor City's twin legacies in hard rock and soul. Their biggest hits saw them covering classic Motown songs of the past, while their sound 


found a middle ground between full-bodied rhythm & blues and tough bar band rock & roll. This dichotomy was reinforced by the fact they were the only white act signed to the Motown Records organization that regularly achieved chart success, and their tight musicianship found room for them to transform their songs through extended jams, with their biggest hit, "Get Ready," often clocking in at 30 minutes in concert.
                                                 


1969's Get Ready was their most successful album and defined their approach, 1973's Ma was written

and produced by one of Motown's greatest behind-the-scenes figures, Norman Whitfield, and 1978's Grand Slam took their music into the funk and disco era. Their 1973 album, Ma, written and produced by Norman Whitfield, is considered one of their best overall works, and features their version of "Hum Along and Dance". But the record did not sell well, and produced no hits.
                                          

Rare Earth was the opening act at California Jam festival in Ontario, California on April 6, 1974. The

festival attracted over 250,000 people, and the band appeared alongside 1970s rock groups Black Sabbath; Emerson, Lake & Palmer; Deep Purple; Earth, Wind & Fire; Seals and Crofts; Black Oak Arkansas and Eagles. Portions of the show were broadcast on ABC Television in the U.S., exposing the band to a wider audience.
                              

In July 1974, the group divided. Mike Urso left the group along with Hoorelbeke and they formed a new band, HUB, with Rare Earth's 1970–1972 co-producer, Tom Baird, using the initials of their

surnames (Hoorelbeke, Urso and Baird). HUB went on to record two albums for Capitol Records (HUB and Cheata) but came to a sudden end in November 1975 after Baird was killed in a boating accident. The others (minus Olson, who left to join the backup band for Jennifer Warnes) decided to continue as Rare Earth and brought in new players. The new line-up recorded Back to Earth in 1975 and went back on the road. In June 1979 Urso left the band again. By the summer of 1981, Mike Urso had returned to Rare Earth after a two-year absence, but he left again in mid-1983, and has not returned to the band since then. Tim Ellsworth was then brought in as new bassist/vocalist in September 1983.
                                

On July 29, 1993 the band suffered the loss of another member when long time percussionist Eddie Guzman (age 49) died at his home in Howell, Michigan. Other than Mike Bruner's succeeding Rick Warner in January 1998 and Ivan Greilich's filling in for Ray Monette for five years (2004–2009), the

line-up was stable overall until Monette's final departure in 2017. In March 2017 long time guitarist Ray Monette announced his retirement from the band due to recurring back troubles. His replacement was Jerry "Lew" Patterson. Rare Earth continued playing events such as Disneys Anniversary- Hippie Fest, The Moody Blues Cruises and Classic Rock Festivals. Gil Bridges, the last original member appearing in the current Rare Earth lineup, died from complications arising from COVID-19 on December 8, 2021, aged 80.
                                                 


MEMBERS

 
                    



John Persh – vocals, bass guitar, trombone
Pete Rivera – lead vocals, drums
Rod Richards – vocals, guitar
Kenny James – vocals, organ, electric piano
Gil Bridges – vocals, saxophone, tambourine

Rare Earth – Get Ready
Label: Motown – 3746352292
Format:    CD, Album, Reissue
Country: US
Released: 1987
Genre:Rock, Funk / Soul
Style:Soul, Psychedelic Rock

TRACKS

 
                             



01. Magic Key   3:50
(Written-By – Gilbert Bridges, Kenny Folick)
02. Tobacco Road   7:10
(Written-By – John Loudermilk)
03. Feelin' Alright   5:00
(Written-By – Dave Mason)
04. In Bed   3:00
(Written-By – Lynn Henderson, Tom Baird, Wes Henderson)
05. Train To Nowhere   3:20
(Written-By – Chris Youlden, Kim Simmons)
06. Get Ready   21:30
(Written-By – William "Smokey" Robinson)

MP3 @ 320 Size: 102 MB
Flac  Size: 287 MB

 

26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Have listened now. Unfortunately it's not for me. From very unusual. You can't believe it was recorded 1969. Sounds like 10 years later.

      Delete
    2. Kostas i really didn't know her. I listened to the first 2 tracks. I'm sorry but it's not "my sound". Too bad i would have preffered it. It was a sensation for me at first. 1969 something that's good because of you and i don't know it. But unfortunately...

      Delete
    3. Are you talking about Rare Earth? Make me understand.

      Delete
    4. Uuuhhhh, another band i heard there.
      Good that you ypurself were irritated whether im even talking about the Rare Earth !!!!
      That is of course something else.
      GREAT. Already ordered. (What's a shit).

      Delete
    5. The song Get Ready of Rare Earth was one of the most famous songs in Greece during the 70s. All the Rock disco of that time had this song in their play list, snd in America sold millions of albums.

      Delete
    6. I've seen that the band was very well known and succesful. Something that usually makes me suspicions, even if there was soul involved. But that dorsn't bother me anymore today.

      Delete
    7. Speaking of succesful.
      It was hard for me to endure the Beatles and Stones. Hippies didn't play that back then.

      Delete
    8. Yes I know that. Even the Punks didn't.

      Delete
    9. Yes, dear Kostas, that's how it is.
      Keep going with your beautiful blog.

      Delete
  2. I'm through with the CACTUS 8 cd box. FANTASTIC ! The sound quality of the live shows is excellent. Endless long tracks, but never boring on the contrary and with a lot of fuzz. The old bands were even better live than in the studio.
    A PROOF OF THEIR CLASS.
    (It's been the other way around for new bands).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josef, I have to say that I admire your perseverance to always search for good music. I often find it hard to get into the right state of mind to listen to a single cd.

      Cactus were a great band, Thin Lizzy too, their dual guitar arrangements were unique. But maybe your initial impression was due to the fact that their music was all over the place, as you could have soft ballads and hard rockers edging on heavy metal and everything between all in a single album, so if you approached an album with a specific state of mind you could find yourself somewhat disoriented.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous it's a pity that i can't address you personally by a name.
      There are many anonymous. But i now believe "who you are". The man from Greece wirh always friendly comments.
      It's hard to say anything about your comment, just this much: i never approach the music with a expectation of preservation. Surprise me. And then it's just a question of whether i like or not. I want to keep myself as free a possible from any prejudice.
      I've been interested in music for ages, since about 1968. I could tell a lot here from the beginning to today, that would never end. To date i have a nice collection with about 13.000 cds & 4.000 lps. And almost every day something is added.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous but you don't have to think i have a lot of money. On the contrary.
      I just invest everything in books and music and i can't afford anything else.

      Delete
    4. Josef you are right, I should use a nickname but I haven't thought of something suitable so far. With such good deals available there I understand the temptation to collect albums and books. I would follow the same route as well if the economy wasn't like that (permanent fiscal crisis and artificially inflated prices) and if I had the energy to. For me, due to a combination of things I find it hard to find the energy to listen to music as much as I would like or even pick up the guitar.

      Delete
    5. Anonymous it's no longer a problem, i can already determine who you are from all anonymous.
      I'm not so much a collector of books and music that would be absurd but i use the things. And i don't want to miss many books because i read them again or if i need something i have them at hand. (Above all philosophy you shouldn't keep reading new things, but the texts you love over and over again).
      Just do your thing you should deal with what really interests you and what you
      love !

      Delete
  3. I just got THE REPORTERS. I'm already curious - and The ONLY ONES- remains a later one which is also very good as well the 2+3
    THIN LIZZY. I think i underrated the band. I didn't think much of them, probably a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Unknown: Your comment is very offensive for someone, so I don't want to post it. My blog isn't a battlefield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The attack was probably aimed at me.
      I wouldn't have miatded. I would have found the right answer. I bet it was about Beatles and Stones.
      Many people don't takes it well when their gods are attacked.

      Delete
    2. I have an acquaintance whose gods are Crosby Stills Nash & Young. He almost managed to spoil the band for me.
      For him everything is very very good without distinction, whether old or new or even of the individual persons.

      Delete
  5. I grew up listening to this album, I was 4 or 5 years old when my father bought it and he listened to it all the time. Since then, I've always made sure to have a copy of it in my collection. I feel that Rare Earth's versions of a few of the songs on Get Ready are *the* definitive versions, probably because I was so young when I started hearing this record that it is ingrained in my childhood. This is a great album, but I think their next record, Ecology, is their best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a nice box of RARE EARTH:
    STUDIO ALBUMS 1969-1974. I once ordered the get ready. Kostas do you know perhaps all of them and they are all good ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As an unknown said, Ecology is a great album. I am fun of their album MA, but I am sentimentally connected with this album.

      Delete