ua

ua

Friday, May 29, 2020

Body Count: Body Count 1992



Body Count is an American heavy metal band formed in Los Angeles, California, in 1990. The group is fronted by Ice-T, who first established himself as a rapper but co-founded the group with lead guitarist Ernie C out of their interest in heavy metal music. Ice-T took on the role of vocalist and writing the lyrics for most of the group's songs. Lead guitarist Ernie C has been responsible for writing the group's music. Their self-titled debut album was released on Sire Records garnered much attention due to a controversy around the song "Cop Killer".


Body Count's label, Sire Records, and their parent company, Warner Bros. Records, defended the single, however Ice-T chose to remove the track from the album because he felt that the controversy had eclipsed the music itself. The group left Sire the following year. Since then, they have released six further albums on different labels.


Three out of the band's original six members are deceased: D-Roc died from lymphoma, Beatmaster V from leukemia and Mooseman in a drive-by shooting.


Body Count's self-titled debut album was released on Sire/Warner Bros. Records on March 31, 1992.
On the strength of the album, Body Count toured internationally, developing a strong following. When the group performed in Milan, Italy, some of the punks in the crowd began spitting at Ernie C. Ice-T attempted to calm the situation by telling the crowd not to spit, but the spitting continued. As the band prepared to play "Cop Killer", Ice-T identified an audience member who spit in his direction; Ice-T responded by rushing into the crowd and punching the spitter. As the band began to play, some of the audience began fighting with Ice-T. Body Count escaped the crowd mid-song, and the promoter immediately shut the concert down.

The song "Cop Killer", intended to criticize corrupt police officers, encountered controversy, as it was seen as an attack against the entire police force.


According to Ice-T, "I thought I was safe. I thought within the world of rock'n'roll, you could be free to write what you want. Hell, I was listening to Talking Heads singin' 'Psycho Killer.' Fuck it, I'll make 'Cop Killer'! But, that was the cross of metal with something that was real. Now we’re not just killing your family, we’re killing somebody so real that everybody just went, 'oh shit.'"

   
The Dallas Police Association and the Combined Law Enforcement Association of Texas launched a campaign to force Warner Bros. Records to withdraw the album. Within a week, they were joined by police organizations across the United States.  Some critics argued that the song could cause crime
and violence. Many defended the song on the basis of the group's right to freedom of speech. In The Ice Opinion: Who Gives a Fuck, Ice-T wrote that "The people who did have a platform were way off backing me on the First Amendment. That's not where all the anger should have been directed. The anger should have been generated back at the police. [...] Because people jumped on the wrong issue they were able to drive this thing totally through Warner Brothers."


Over the next month, controversy against the band grew. Vice President Dan Quayle branded "Cop Killer" as being "obscene," and President George H.W. Bush publicly denounced any record company that would release such a product. At a Time-Warner shareholders' meeting, actor Charlton Heston stood and read lyrics from the song "KKK Bitch" to an astonished audience and demanded that the company take action.


The album's material focuses on various social and political issues ranging from police brutality to drug abuse. It also presents a turning point in the career of Ice-T, who co-wrote the album's songs
with lead guitarist Ernie C and performed as the band's lead singer. Previously known only as a rapper, Ice-T's work with the band helped establish a crossover audience with rock music fans. The album produced the single "There Goes the Neighborhood".


Body Count is well known for the inclusion of the controversial song "Cop Killer", which was the
subject of much criticism from various political figures, although many defended the song on the basis of the group's right to freedom of speech. Ice-T eventually chose to remove the song from the album, although it continues to be performed live. It was voted the 31st best album of the year in The Village Voice's Pazz & Jop critics poll, and is believed to have helped pave the way for the mainstream success of the rap metal genre, although the album itself does not feature rapping in any of its songs.

[ AllMusic Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine 


Divorced from the controversy that surrounded its release, Body Count's self-titled debut is a surprisingly tepid affair. Apart from the previously released "Body Count" (which appeared on Ice-
T's 1991 album O.G. Original Gangster), the record is devoid of serious commentary, trading intelligence for a lurid comic book depiction of sex, violence, and "Voodoo." All of Ice-T's half-sung/half-shouted lyrics fall far short of the standard he established on his hip-hop albums.

The controversial "Cop Killer" -- which is nothing more than a standard thrash metal chant -- stands out because it is one of the few tracks that doesn't rely on garish, cartoonish imagery. There's the saga of "Evil Dick," which tells Ice-T not to "sleep alone." There's "KKK Bitch," where he crashes a Ku Klux Klan meeting and screws the grand dragon's daughter. There's "Voodoo," where a witch doctor cripples our hero with a voodoo doll.



There's "Mama's Gotta Die Tonight," where Ice-T offs his mother cause she's a racist. By the time the band works around to the power ballad "The Winner Loses" and Ice-T is crooning "My friend's addicted to cocaine," it's unclear whether the record is a parody or a horribly flawed stab at arena metal.]

TRAXS

01. Smoked Pork      Ice-T         0:46
02. Body Count's in the House    Ice-T    Ernie C     3:24
03. Now Sports      Ice-T         0:04
04. Body Count      Ice-T    Ernie C      5:17
05. A Statistic      Ice-T         0:06
06. Bowels of the Deil     Ice-T    Ernie C      3:43
07. The Real Problem    Ice-T     0:11
08. KKK Bitch     Ice-T    Ernie C      2:52
09. C Note     Ernie C      1:35
10. Voodoo    Ice-T    Ernie C       5:00
11. The Winner Loses    Ernie C      6:32
12. There Goes the Neighborhood      Ice-T     Ernie C    5:50
13. Oprah    Ice-T         0:06
14. Evil Dick      Ice-T     Ernie C   3:58
15. Body Count Anthem    Ice-T    Ernie C       2:46
16. Momma's Gotta Die Tonight    Ice-T    Ernie C       6:10
17. Out in the Parking Lot    Ice-T     0:30
18. Cop Killer     Ice-T    Ernie C        4:09

Total length:    52:59


Personnel

Ice-T – lead vocals
Ernie C – lead guitar, acoustic guitar
D-Roc the Executioner – rhythm guitar
Beatmaster V – drums
Mooseman – bass
Sean E Sean – sampler, backing vocals
Sean E. Mac – hype man, backing vocals

COP KILLER LYRICS



I got my black shirt on.
I got my black gloves on.
I got my ski mask on.
This shit's been too long.

I got my twelve gauge sawed off.
I got my headlights turned off.
I'm 'bout to bust some shots off.
I'm 'bout to dust some cops off.

I'm a cop killer, better you than me.
Cop killer, fuck police brutality!
Cop killer, I know your family's grieving,
(fuck 'em!)
Cop killer, but tonight we get even, ha ha.

I got my brain on hype.
Tonight will be your night.
I got this long-assed knife.
And your neck looks just right.

My adrenaline's pumpin'.
I got my stereo bumpin'.
I'm 'bout to kill me somethin'.
A pig stopped me for nuthin'!

Cop killer, better you than me.
Cop killer, fuck police brutality!
Cop killer, I know your momma's grieving,
(fuck her!)
Cop killer, but tonight…

Die, die, die pig, die!
Fuck the police!
Fuck the police!
Fuck the police!
Fuck the police!
Fuck the police!
Fuck the police!
Fuck the police!
Fuck the police!
Yeah!

Cop killer, better you than me.
I'm a cop killer, fuck police brutality!
Cop killer, I know your family's grieving,
(fuck 'em!)
Cop killer, but tonight we get even, ha ha ha ha, yeah!

Fuck the police!
Fuck the police!
Fuck the police!
Fuck the police!
Fuck the police!
Fuck the police!
Fuck the police!
Fuck the police!
Break it down.
Fuck the police, yeah!

Fuck the police, for darryl gates.
Fuck the police, for rodney king.
Fuck the police, for my dead homies.
Fuck the police, for your freedom.
Fuck the police, don't be a pussy.
Fuck the police, have some muthafuckin' courage.
Fuck the police, sing along.

Cop killer!
Cop killer!
Cop killer!
Cop killer!
Cop killer! what do you want to be when you grow up?
Cop killer! good choice.
Cop killer! I'm a muthafuckin'
Cop killer!
Cop killer, better you than me.

KKK BITCH  LYRICS




[Spoken]
Aw yeah, what's up out there? BC's in the house. Right about now, I'm gonna tell you a little love story, you know what I'm sayin'? This is a Body Count love story. Check out the lyrics, you know. I'm a tell you 'bout what happened when we went down south last year on tour

[Verse 1]
Out on tour yo, I been all around the world
Went to Georgia, met this fine-ass white girl
Blonde hair, blue eyes, big tits and thighs
The kinda girl that would knock out most guys
She got wild in the backstage bathroom
Sucked my dick like a motherfucking vacuum
Said I love you, but my daddy don't play
He's the fucking Grand Wizard of the KKK

[Hook]
I love my KKK bitch, I love it when she sucks me though
I love my KKK bitch, I love it when she fucks me though
I love my KKK bitch, she loves it when I treat her bad
I love my KKK bitch, motherfuck her dear old dad

[Spoken]
You know what I'm sayin'? So we was down south fallin' in love, you know. D-Roc had this Nazi girl. My man Mooseman had a skinhead. I fell in love with Tipper Gore's two twelve year old nieces. It was wild, you know what I'm sayin'? It got even worse, you know

[Verse 2]
So, one night, they took us to a meeting
White sheets, white hoods, no room for seating
There was skinheads, Nazis, and crazies
Talkin' 'bout black people pushin' up daisies
They hated blacks, Jews, Puerto Ricans
Mexicans, Chinese, even the Indians
We had our hoods on, we were slick
She pushed her butt up hard against my dick
Then her daddy jumped on the stage
Talkin' 'bout killin' in a goddamn rage
I got mad, my dick got hard
Entered in her ass, she said, "Oh, my God!"
[Hook]

[Spoken]
So what we really tryin' to say is Body Count loves everybody. We love Mexican girls, black girls, Oriental girls, it really don't matter. If you from Mars, and you got a pussy, we will fuck you. You know, that's all we're sayin'. Word

[Verse 3]
So, every year, when Body Count comes around
We throw an orgy in every little southern town
KKKs, skinheads, and Nazis
Girls break their necks to get to the party
It ain't like their men can't nut
Their dick's too little and they just can't fuck
So we get buck wild with the white freaks
We show them how to really work the white sheets
I know her daddy'll really be after me
When his grandson's named Little Ice-T



 IN MEMORY OF GEORGE FLOYD (25 - May - 2020)
(The black man killed by police in Minneapolis on Monday after an incident captured on video in which an officer knelt on his neck as he lay on the ground)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the album! it sounds great!
    In Memory of GF!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most appreciated. Saw Bodycount in a tent at Reading festival. Absolutely rammed never forgotten Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video of Derek Chauvin murdering George Floyd is one of the most horrible things I've ever watched. No one, absolutely NO ONE, deserves to die like that. But at least his death has become a catalyst for what hopefully will be changes in how the police force is allowed to operate. It's just pathetic (and a sad comment on the human race) that we still have to deal with this kind of thing in the 21st century after so many people marched, demonstrated, and even lost their lives in the pursuit of civil rights 50 years ago. You'd think that after innumerable decades (even centuries) of humans living on this planet, we would have learned how to get along and to embrace each other's differences instead of murdering over them. But sadly, it seems as though humans never learn.

    ReplyDelete