Dawn Penn (born in 1952 in Kingston, Jamaica) is a Jamaican reggae singer. She first had a short career during the rocksteady era, between 1967 and 1969, but is most known for her single "You Don't Love Me (No, No, No)" which became a worldwide hit in 1994.
Dawn Penn's earliest recordings were composed and written by her around 1966 using session musicians. In 1967, she recorded the rocksteady single "You Don't Love Me", produced by Coxsone Dodd at Studio One.
She also recorded "Why Did You Leave" at Studio One, "Broke My Heart" for Bunny Lee, "I Let You Go Boy" and covers of "To Sir with Love" and "Here Comes the Sun".
Dawn had also recorded for singer and producer Prince Buster early in her career with songs like "Long Day, Short Night", "Blue Yes Blue" and "Here's the Key". By 1970, Penn had left the music industry and had moved to the Virgin Islands. However, she faced racism there, and in 1987, she returned to Jamaica and to music.
Thankfully, Penn's voice has held up well over the years, and she's in generally good form on 1994's No, No, No, her first full-length album after her comeback. Though the production of Sly Dunbar, Steely & Clevie, and others is slick and high tech, and some of the material has a strong urban contemporary flavor -- especially "I'll Do It Again" and "Samfi Boy" -- much of the CD recalls the type of rocksteady style that Penn was known for in the 1960s.
To be sure, "The First Cut Is the Deepest," "Keep in Touch," and a cover of Smokey Robinson's "I Want a Love I Can See" are a lot slicker, glossier, and more produced than Penn's Studio One recordings of the late 1960s.
AllMusic Review by Alex Henderson ]
01. I Want a Love I Can See (Smokey Robinson) - 3:54
02. I'm Sorry (Clive Hunt, Dawn Penn, Dylan Powe) - 4:10
03. You Don't Love Me (No, No, No) (Extended Mix) (Dawn Penn) - 4:37
04. Night and Day (Horace Swaby) - 4:55
05. My Love Takes Over (Clive Hunt, Dawn Penn, Dylan Powe) - 3:57
06. The First Cut Is the Deepest (Cat Stevens) - 4:27
07. I'll Do It Again (Dwight Pinkney) - 4:05
08. Hurt (Dawn Penn) - 3:57
09. Samfi Boy (Bobby Digital, Dawn Penn, Geoffrey Chung) - 5:09
10. Keep in Touch (Chin/Fook, Geoffrey Chung, Rupert Cunningham) - 4:30
11. My Man (Clevie Brownie, Nadine Sutherland) - 3:58
12. Blue Yes Blue (Dawn Penn) - 4:52
13. You Don't Love Me (No, No, No) (Remix) (Dawn Penn) - 5:13
MP3 : Size : 57.1 MB
FLAC : SIZE : 373 MB