ua

ua

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Mazzy Star : Ghost Highway Bootleg CD 2005

Ghost Highway serves up two 1994 portions of Mazzy Star recorded in the moment, one from a live show and one from a radio session. We get a nice mixture of favourites from 1993’s So Tonight That I Might See and early versions of tracks that would later surface on other albums. CD released by FM In Concert.

Hope Sandoval, David Roback, The Winter of ’94 and a year after the release of the sublime “So Tonight That I Might See”, Mazzy Star find themselves still touring and promoting the album, some of the songs featured here are from that album such as Into Dust, Bells Ring the title track and the hit single Fade Into You. Whilst songs like " Flowers in December " would turn up on the next album released a whole two years later. Four of the selections are from the critically acclaimed first album  " She Hangs Brightly " issued in 1990, including the Sylvia Gomez penned  " Give You My Lovin "  and the obscure German band  " Slapp Happy " cover of  " Blue Flower ".
Mazzy Star is best known for the song "Fade into You" which brought the band success in the mid-1990s and was the group's biggest mainstream hit, earning extensive exposure on MTV, VH1, and radio airplay.

Roback and Sandoval are the creative centre of the band, with Sandoval as lyricist and Roback as composer of the majority of the band's material.

HOPE SANDOVAL

Hope Sandoval (born June 24, 1966) is an American singer-songwriter who is the lead singer for Mazzy Star and Hope Sandoval & the Warm Inventions. Sandoval has toured and collaborated with other artists, including  "Massive Attack", for whom she sang "Paradise Circus" on the 2010 album "Heligoland", and "The Spoils" on the 2016 eponymous single.Sandoval performed with the band  " Opal " in the late 1980s a longside David Roback and long-time Roback collaborator Kendra Smith. After Smith's abrupt departure during a tour of the UK (hurling her guitar to the floor at the Hammersmith gig), Sandoval took over lead vocals. At the end of the tour, Roback and Sandoval began writing together and formed the alternative rock band Mazzy Star.

DAVID ROBACK

Roback was born and raised in Los Angeles and attended Palisades High School, graduating in 1975. He and his brother Stephen Roback, a bass guitarist, formed a band called the Unconscious, which also
included Susanna Hoffs, who would go on to become the lead singer of the all-girl band " The Bangles ".Roback was active in the Paisley Underground music scene in L.A. in the early to mid-1980s as the leader of the band  "Rain Parade" which was immensely popular on the L.A. club circuit. Shortly after the release of the band's first album "Emergency Third Rail Power Trip", in 1983, Roback left Rain Parade to join Rainy Day, a collaborative effort with a number of L.A. musicians in the Paisley Underground.
After releasing their self-titled album, Roback formed Opal (which was initially called "Clay Allison"), with vocalist/bassist Kendra Smith, formerly of "The Dream Syndicate".
After one EP and one full-length album Kendra Smith was replaced by Hope Sandoval but this lineup never released an album as "Opal".
Roback changed the name of the band to Mazzy Star in 1989.

Tracks:

1. Flowers In December
2. Ride It On 
3. Into Dust
4. Give You My Lovin’ (Sylvia Gomez)
5. Fade Into You
6. Halah
7. Ghost Highway ( David Roback)
8. Blue Flower 
9. Flowers In December
10.Bells Ring
11.Blue Flower (Peter Blegvad/ Anthony Moore)
12.Halah
13.So Tonight That I Might See

1-8 Recorded The Metro Chicago 12th November 1994
9-13 Recorded at KROQ Los Angeles 10th December 1994

"Flowers In December"

 

Before I let you down again
I just want to see you in your eyes
I would have taken everything out on you
I only thought you could understand

They say every man goes blind in his heart
And they say everybody steals somebody's heart away
And I've got nothing more to say about it
Nothing more than you would me

Send me your flowers of your december
Send me your dreams of your candy wine
I got just one thing I can't give you
Just one more thing of mine

They say every man goes blind in his heart
They say everybody steals somebody's heart away
And I've been wondering why you let me down
And I been taking it all for granted  

"Into Dust"
 


Still falling
Breathless and on again
Inside today
Beside me today
Around, broken in two
Till your eyes shed
Into dust
Like two strangers
Turning into dust
Till my hand shook
With the weight of fear

I could possibly be fading
Or have something more to gain
I could feel myself growing colder
I could feel myself under your fate
Under your fate

It was you
Breathless and torn
I could feel my eyes turning into dust
And two strangers
Turning into dust
Turning into dust





Label : FMIC – FMIC024
Format : CD, Album, Unofficial Release
Country : UK & Europe
Released : 18 May 2015
Genre : Rock
Style : Psychedelic Rock, Alternative Rock

FLAC  Size :  424 MB

OPAL on This Blog  Take it HERE
DREAM  SYNDICATE on This Blog HERE
MAZZY STAR on This Blog HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment