ua

ua

Sunday, June 02, 2019

Black Widow : Sacrifice 1970 (Return To The Sabbat 1998)



PEGSY GEE

Now a mere footnote in '60s rock history, Leicester, England's Pesky Gee! are perhaps remembered more for the band that they became -- notorious Satan-worshipers Black Widow -- than for their actual music. Taking their name from a song in another local group's repertoire, Pesky Gee! were originally formed as a soul band before constant gigging slowly pushed them toward a more experimental and progressive style of rock & roll.

The band originally formed in 1966 as Pesky Gee! with Kay Garrett (lead vocals), Kip Trevor (lead vocals, guitar and harmonica), Chris Dredge (guitar), Bob Bond (bass guitar), Clive Box (drums and piano), Gerry "Zoot" Taylor (organ), Clive Jones (aka Clive Beer-Jones; saxophone and flute). Jim Gannon (guitar, vocals and vibes), replaced Dredge in Spring 1969.The band released one album for Pye Records as Pesky Gee!, 1969's Exclamation Mark, before Garrett left the band.

BLACK WIDOW

 
Black Widow were a rock band that formed in Leicester, England in September 1969. The band were mostly known for their early use of satanic and occult imagery in their music and stage act. They were often compared with the better-known heavy metal band Black Sabbath, though these bands were only superficially similar.


The remaining band members continued on as Black Widow and released their debut album Sacrifice in 1970.Sacrifice is the debut album by English rock band Black Widow. It was issued in March 1970 through CBS Records and was produced by Patrick Meehan Jr.


The album features the band's best known song "Come to the Sabbat" and its lyrical themes are centred on Satanism and occultism. Sacrifice reached No. 32 on the UK Albums Chart.


Few albums have undergone such a dramatic transformation in their fortunes as Black Widow's Sacrifice. Best known for so long on the strength of one track ("Come to the Sabbat") on an early-'70s CBS sampler, Sacrifice was for so long the guilty secret of a mere handful of prog fans that it felt like it might never be rediscovered.


Added emphasis on sax and organ pushes things hard, while every song is taken just a few beats faster than listeners are accustomed to, to bring a delirium to the performance that is perfectly in keeping with the subject matter.


Not even the presence of a little surface noise (the CD was mastered from acetate) can detract from the magnificence of the performance and, if you've spent the last however many years marveling at the Sacrifice that fans know and love, this one will take you even higher.


Despite a measure of popularity and three albums later, the band broke up in 1973. Original members Geoff Griffith and Clive Jones have since reformed to release a new album, "Sleeping With Demons", on Hallows' Eve 2011. 

TRAXS
 
Side1

 
01. In Ancient Days     9:28
02. Way To Power     4:08
03. Come To The Sabbat     4:11
04. Conjuration     5:53

Side 2 

 
05. Seduction             4:41
06. Attack Of The Demon 3:57
07. Sacrifice            10:48

Personnel

    Kip Trevor - vocals
    Clive Jones - flute, saxophone, clarinet
    Jim Gannon - lead and Spanish guitars, vibes
    Zoot Taylor - organ, piano
    Bob Bond - bass
    Clive Box - drums, percussion

Notes

Recorded and produced at D.T. Studios. Kettering, Northants: November 1969.
Recorded as Pesky Gee and existed as one copy acetate.
On vocals there were Kay Garret and Kip Trevor.
Studio Album, released in 1998

Format: Vinyl LP
Label: CBS
Made in: England
Genre: Rock
Style: Progressive Rock
Year: 1970



IN ANCIENT DAYS

In ancient days, in other lives, long past but not forgotten
I’ve learned the power of mind and flesh to have my will obeyed

In Adonai and Babylon, Etruscans and Egyptians
Came to my temple, journeyed to the Valley of the Moon
Deep underground where no light dared to come, beneath my pyramid
I stood in Hell, a mortal man between Belial and Satan
And still before my audience entrance with stark, cold fear
I cured or struck with sickness, death, or made insane my foes

Here in my thirteenth life the mystic power of old
Returns, and as I say these words, my soul again in Hell
I conjure thee, I conjure thee, I conjure thee, I conjure thee appear
I raise you mighty demon, come before me, join me here

In ancient days, in other lives, long past but not forgotten
I’ve learned the power of mind and flesh to have my will obeyed

Deep underground where no light dared to come, beneath my pyramid
I stood in Hell, a mortal man between Belial and Satan
And still before my audience entrance with stark, cold fear
I cured or struck with sickness, death, or made insane my foes

Here in my thirteenth life the mystic power of old
Returns, and as I say these words, my soul again in Hell
I conjure thee, I conjure thee, I conjure thee, I conjure thee appear
I raise you mighty demon, come before me, join me here


ATTACK OF THE DEMON

You played a game for rich rewards
The stakes: your blood, your mind, your soul
You try to gain all earthly power
You unleash plagues of Famine, Death and War
All my sins have damned my soul in hell

All of my sins have left me in hell
All of my sins have left me in hell
All of my sins have left me in hell
All of my sins have left me in hell

I tried to turn my heart against the wickedness I caused
And in my dream my dear, beloved mother came to me
She begged me turn my face, once more, up high towards the Lord
But notice came, I could not weep for Satan clutched my heart
All my sins have damned my soul in hell


6 comments:

  1. I understand that the CD version (renamed "Return To The Sabbath") is more of a remake than a remaster. Am I correct?
    Anyhow, thanks for the up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I designed the logo, publicity, posters and insider album cover for the first Black Widow album. 12 years ago I heard from Clive Jones that he was trying to reform the band and recorded a couple of new songs. Unfortunately Clive died before he could get the project off the ground. One of those songs, Hail Satan featuring Tony Martin, can be found on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kostas! Amazing depth of musical excellence you have maintained here at your fine blog! Cheers

    ReplyDelete