ua

ua

Saturday, February 18, 2023

Jargon: The Fading Thought 2020

 

Story of Verbal Delirium begins back in the summer of 1999 when keyboard player and vocalist Jargon (John Kosmidis) went to form a band along with bass player Nik Michailidis .Though starting


with an obvious commitment to the progressive rock and psychedelic sound of the 60's n' 70's, the band came soon to realize that the addition of more modern elements was something more than a necessity. However, the presence of numerous changes in the lineup delayed the band's plan for an album. After trying many different people, things finally seamed to fit at 2005 with guitarist Giorgos Maniatis and drummer Lazaros Papanastasiou.
                                              

The Verbal Delirium frontman's first solo album is a lyrical, dark tale for adult listeners and old souls.
                               

(The opening instrumental ‘The Film’ sets the tone magnificently, the first notes of Jargon’s piano are enough to send shivers down my spine and the string quartet adds the cinematic feel of a period arthouse love drama. A thread that will weave throughout the entire album. Released digitally on

bandcamp and on vinyl, Side A is featuring almost as much instrumental music as it does feature vocals. The "Dance Of The Framed Words" is as proggy as the title suggests, while "Light" plays on a simple melody. The two vocal driven songs "In Search Of The Invisible Thin Line" and the "The Fading Thought" deliver what I came for equally – beautifully melancholic prog rock – throughout their 5 and 7 minutes play time respectively. The title track adds an extended solo section and interesting 3-part song structure.
                           

Side B starts off with the single "Time Is Running Out" (not a Muse cover), perhaps the most Verbal

Delirium-esque song on “The Fading Thought”. Heavy guitar riffs that are bordering on metal sonically (like on the Verbal Delirium song "Images from a Grey World") are still nowhere to be found though. The slight dissonances of "How Can I?" are flirting with the avantgarde and some creepy additional backing vocals from Lupe make it even more spooky.
                                 

The classic string quartet sound returns at the start of "The Last Temptation", a chilling build-up with percussive dark piano sounds until bass and drums join around the three-minute mark. Overall a prime

example how to integrate a string quartet into a band, making them equal partners and not only background musicians. As is the whole album more or less. A seamless segue leads us into the final "Window to the World", where we finally reach the heaviest outbursts, without losing as much as a notch of the ethereal beauty. But spiralling into a dissonant, climactic ending, that suddenly spits us out back into our own grey worlds.
By Dario - The Prog Space

                           


Στο βαθμό λοιπόν που η μουσική συσχετίζεται περισσότερο με τη μουσική δωματίου, ο Jargon χτίζει πιο γερές γέφυρες με chamber rock σχήματα του παρελθόντος, παρά με αυτό που θα λέγαμε symphonic

prog. Σε όσα μας είπε πέρσι ο Κίσσονας για την αγάπη του προς την contemporary classical, διαισθάνθηκα μια πιθανότητα για πιο στριφνά, δυσαρμονικά μέρη, για πράγματα που θα μας έφερναν πιο κοντά στο σύμπαν των Univers Zero, για παράδειγμα. Τέτοια μέρη υπάρχουν σποραδικά - συνήθως κοντά στο φινάλε κάποιων τραγουδιών - αλλά δεν παίρνουν ποτέ τα ηνία. Για να είμαι δίκαιος, κάτι τέτοιο δεν θα ταίριαζε στη, συνολικά πολύ λυρική, φύση του άλμπουμ.
                        

Ο λυρισμός είναι η λέξη-κλειδί για την κατανόηση του "The Fading Thought". Οι συνθέσεις έχουν έντονη συναισθηματική φόρτιση, μια γλυκόπικρη μελαγχολία κι έναν ρομαντισμό που μοιάζει ασυγκράτητος σε στιγμές. Τα παραπάνω στοιχεία συντελούν σε μια μουσική που τελικά μοιάζει παλιά,

στοιχειωμένη, ελαφρώς γοτθική θα τολμούσα να πω. Αυτό το σκοτεινό μουσικό παραμύθι μου έφερε στο νου, μια αίσθηση παραπλήσια αυτής των Saviour Machine (αίσθηση, όχι ήχο), ενώ τροφοδοτείται από το ενδοσκοπικό του concept: ένα concept που παραμένει αρκετά θολό στα μάτια μου, αλλά στο οποίο οι μνήμες και η εσωτερική μάχη ανάμεσα στους πολλαπλούς εαυτούς του Jargon, φαίνεται να παίζουν πρωτεύοντα ρόλο.
                            

Αυτό που απομένει είναι το πως αποτυπώνονται όλα τα παραπάνω στις συνθέσεις. Υπάρχουν

πολυάριθμες εκπλήξεις και ανατροπές μέσα στα τραγούδια που αξίζει ο ακροατής να ανακαλύψει. Στο δικό μου γούστο, ξεχωρίζουν οι στιγμές κατά τις οποίες η, κατά τ' άλλα ευγενική και τρυφερή χροιά της φωνής του Jargon, «σκοτεινιάζει» και βουλιάζει σε δραματικές ερμηνευτικές κορυφώσεις, με χαρακτηριστική τη σχετική κλιμάκωση στο ομώνυμο και το "How Can I?". Στο τελευταίο συμμετέχει

στη φωνή κι ο Lupe των Mosquito, σε ένα track που μου θύμισε λίγο τις πιο ζοφερές εκφάνσεις του "Be" των Pain Of Salvation. Το "Time Is Running Out" είναι πιθανόν η πιο άμεση prog rock στιγμή του άλμπουμ, ένας απόγονος της τέχνης των Genesis και με ένα εξαιρετικό κιθαριστικό σόλο από τον Νικήτα - μόνο οι πολύ καλοί παίκτες χρησιμοποιούν τόσο λίγες νότες. Αντίστοιχα, το θαυμάσιο σόλο των keyboards στη μέση του ομώνυμου είναι παραδοσιακό, διαχρονικό prog, ενώ το σχεδόν μεταλλικό φινάλε με το "Window To The World" είναι πιο ταιριαστό απ' ότι θα πίστευε κανείς. Οι εναλλαγές ανάμεσα σε φως και σκοτάδι, η διακριτικότητα του rhythm section, η συχνή ¾ αίσθηση της μουσικής, είναι στοιχεία που στολίζουν ποικιλοτρόπως το άλμπουμ.
Από τον Αντώνη Καλαμούτσο, 11/05/2020  Rockin.gr  


Genre: Progressive Rock,
Style: Art rock,
Year: 2020
Label: Self Release
Country: Greece

TRACKS

                                             


01. The Film 05:33
02. In Search Of The Invisible Thin Line 04:53
03. Dance Of The Framed Words 02:38
04. The Fading Thought 07:17
05. Light 03:53
06. Time Is Running Out 06:53
07. How Can I? 06:21
08. The Last Temptation 07:09
09. Window To The World 04:54

Lyrics & Music by Jargon except string quartet parts, composed and arranged by Nikitas Kissonas

MUSICIANS

                                


Jargon / Vocals, Keyboards, Piano
Nikitas Kissonas / Guitars
Leonidas Petropoulos / Bass
Wil Bow / Drums
Leonidas Petropoulos / Bass
Kostas Karitzis / Violin
Stelios Papanastasis / Viola
Thodoris Mouzakitis / Violin
Aris Zervas / Cello
Lupe / Additional Vocals


IN SEARCH OF THE INVISIBLE THIN LINE    LYRICS

 
                


      
How easily the thought is fading away
How can we forget?
Empty rooms within our heads
searching for footprints in the sand

Searching for the invisible thin line
between the past & the present
Searching for the invisible thin line
between now & forever
Searching for the invisible thin line
between you & me
Searching for something...searching for me


             



How easily the thought is fading away
How can we forget?
Dark corners within our eyes
searching for light within our heart

Searching for the invisible thin line
between the past & the present
Searching for the invisible thin line
between now & forever
Searching for the invisible thin line
between you & me
Searching for something...searching for me

TIME IS RUNNING OUT    LYRICS

 
                         


 
Wild wind is breaking through my pillow
An echo is haunting me
It feels like someone's at the window
staring at me

If I could go back in time
would i change everything?
words i've said, things i've done?
I never meant to hurt nobody  
But all the damage is done
Is this the real “me”?


             



A fire is getting closer
a shadow's hanging over me
I feel the enemy behind me
Is someone chasing me?
Or is it me?

I know that time is running out
and the wheels will stop turning
What's done is done
There can not be a turning back
Nobody's fault but "me"
If I had change everything   
Would this be the real "me" ?

WINDOW TO THE WORLD    LYRICS 

   
      



I open my window to the world
No one seems happy, nothing looks pretty
and there's nowhere a friendly face to smile for me
Only enemies all around me

Mirror mirror on the wall
tell me who's the one i fear the most?
Is it you? is it me?
is it everything I will be?


I have been in places were the sun does not exist
and I have seen things you'll never see
and every time i search for light i find darkness instead
The more i breath the less i live

Mother, why do you lie? why do you die?
Are you gonna leave me too?
Brother why i'm not the same as you?
Now deadly thoughts surround me
It's time to break this fragile part of me

What if i cry? can you feel me?
What if i try? can you hear me?
What if i stay? can you save me?
What if i go? Will you miss me?
I just wonder what is after the glow?
I am too close to the glow now...
I am closing my window to this world
I miss nothing

MP3 @ 320 Size: 129 MB
Flac  Size: 319 MB
 
Verbal Delirium on Urban Aspirines HERE 

3 comments:

  1. A very good and unknown greece band to me. Prog in proven and best tradition. THANK YOU !!
    Anonymous now you are called upon to revoke the death of the Greece scene, after Kostas has posted so much counter evidence lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... And I didn't finish yet. There are many other bands of the new Greek scene waiting for a post. There is also another amazing Greek Progressive band that makes me crazy. Nothing else for the moment.

      Delete
    2. I'm happy for my Greek collection that it wasn't the last. Yes, take your time.
      I'm looking for a Greek band from the early 70s that was presented many years ago either at Rockasteria or Plain & Fancy. Unfortunately i forget the name of the band. It should go in the direction of folk and is only avaible as an lp. It scares me to go through both sides completely to find them. But sooner or later i will have no other choice.

      Delete