ua

ua

Thursday, June 06, 2024

Bow Street Runners: Bow Street Runners 1970

 

Bow Street Runners was a psychedelic rock band formed in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Their debut


album was released in 1970 for B.T. Puppy Records and not long after the band sadly disappeared.
                   

The band was formed in 1969 and their members included George Graham (drums), Steve Darling

(guitar), Frank Hardwick (bass), Mike Dees (vocals), Bill Joyner (keyboards) and later Steve Struthers (lead guitar).
               

Sounding like a blend of Jefferson Airplane and the Doors, Bow Street Runners was a Fayetteville,

North Carolina-based psychedelic band who released one eponymous album in limited quantities on B.T. Puppy Records in 1970. While the group was ignored at the time, Bow Street Runners became a collectible item among psychedelic aficionados during the '80s and '90s, leading to its 1996 reissue by Sundazed Records.
               

Using the trippy, folky rock of Jefferson Airplane and eerie, organ-driven soundscapes as a foundation,

the Bow Street Runners may not have many original ideas in their head, but that's part of their appeal. Their lone, eponymous album is filled with attempts at hippie mysticism and menacing, swirling fuzzy psychedelia.






The Bow Street Runners Interview HERE


It’s great to have you. Let’s start at the very beginning. Where did you grow up, and how did you first get interested in rock’n’roll music?

George Graham: I was born and raised in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Even though I have always loved different types of music from an early age, it was not until the British Invasion that I became hooked on music.

Was there a specific moment when you knew you wanted to become a musician?

I did not consider becoming a musician until the British Invasion. That was when I decided to become a drummer. Watching drummers has always fascinated me. One of my best friends, Ralph Melvin, was also interested in being a drummer. We both encouraged each other to pursue our passion. We both ended up as drummers in local bands over the years.

The British Invasion and the sound of heavier groups have influenced your band. Would you like to take us back in time and tell us what kind of records and fanzines we would find in your teenage room?

My friend, Ralph Melvin, introduced me to a drummer named Sandy Nelson. He had released numerous albums, among which was ‘Let There Be Drums’. Ralph and I bought Sandy Nelson’s albums and studied his style and playing. Before and during that period, I loved The Beach Boys and all the music that went along with the surfer influence, fast cars, and love songs.

How did you come around to play the drums?

Again, it was a mixture of the things I have already mentioned, but the British Invasion locked it in for me. I was mesmerized by the effect the music and style had on audiences. In my mind, I wanted to be a part of that scene.
          


Read The Interview on "It's Psychedelic Baby Magazine"

Bow Street Runners – Bow Street Runners
Label: Sundazed Music – SC 6112
Format: CD, Album, Reissue, Stereo 1996
Country: US
Released: 1970    
Genre: Rock
Style: Psychedelic Rock

TRACKS

                 


01. Electric Star    2:35
02. Watch    2:13
03. American Talking Blues    3:48
04. Leaving Grit America    2:49
05. Another Face    5:11
06. Eating From A Plastic Hand    4:06
07. Rock Fish Blues    2:13
08. Push It Through    2:04
09. Spunky Monkey    3:14
10. Steve's Jam    4:05

LINE - UP


George Graham (drums),
Steve Darling (guitar),
Frank Hardwick (bass),
Mike Dees (vocals),
Bill Joyner (keyboards)  
Steve Struthers (lead guitar).


Flac Size: 334 MB

8 comments:

  1. Josef: Hi Josef I sent you a message to your email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kostas, thanks for asking. Everything is fine with me. I'm top fit and healthy. Healthy isn't everything but without health everything is nothing. Why i didn't comment is because i have all your recent post. I would repeat myself too much if i always responded to every entry. That would be unavoidable. It also annoys me that here in Vienna i am under constant control of my entries. Also from people who have nothing to do with music or anything else, from people i don't even know. So i will be a little sparing with my comment in the future. I'm also very busy. Friend Erwin receives a huge legacy of cds. It would go too far to go in details here. In any case, we agreed that i would come to him every three weeks and take 40 cds with me. There is so much material avaible that i with busy with it for more than a year. And that with my own huge collection. It's unbelievable what there is and only old bands up to around 1974. So don't worry i'll continue to follow your blog.

      I wanted to send this mail to your email address first only. But i think it's better that people who likes me also know about it. I also want people with whom i have nothing on common to read it.

      Delete
    2. Right. I very glad that you are okay.

      Delete
    3. Josef I left you a comment on this post.

      Delete
  2. I deleted my profile just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much K and yes good to hear you say about health Josef we are either backed up rust iron in our cells needing the RCP protocol I’ve done 2 years w 15$ 2022 Copper cure book on Amazon Morley Robbins did looking up old studies w his Magnesium Advocacy Facebook collective or we are PUFA overload well into the Cancer Metabolism or we have Oxylate overload why I quit spinach and lite chocolate and almond but clean water starts w Adya Clarity gallon filtered tap mine is best As river source capful per gallon jugs out of refrigerator 2 days with cap off to let chlorine gas escape as water is ripped apart ionic oxy action to drop out and oxidize yay well thanks guys

    ReplyDelete
  4. Europe will vote tomorrow. It is feared that there will be a strong shift to the right. Something we least need here. The common people have the talent to always vote for those who harm them the most. I recently a small book by the Russian writers NATALIA KLYUCHAROVA these days with the title Diary of the End of the World. In it she writes:
    We asked ourselves why Putin is so polpular ? He is neither fish nor flesh. Are people impressed by his pseudo-brutal statements and other imitations of masculinity....that's ridiculos and pathetic ? But suddenly i understood. But no, no one will be fooled by that. People see exactly what he really is : A NOTHING. But that's exactly what fascinates her about him. That's exactly why he is one of them. Exactly like that - gray, inconspicous, meaningless, unable to form a complete sentence - that's exactly how the whole country is. This psychological diagram can be transferred so many candidates from right-wing parties ( these little or bigger Putin wannabes and friends) as well as their votes like a blueprint.

    Today i received Tales from the Great Rum Runners ( 1974) as a deluxe 2 cd edition from Robert Hunter. I had stopped liking the Grateful Dead for a long time. But i like the two Robert Hunter solo albums. David Freiberg ( ex Quicksilver Messenger Service) is also there and he singing on one track.

    ReplyDelete