ua

ua

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

V. A : Southern Prison Blues


ALL TITLES RECORDED AT LOUISIANA STATE PENITENTIARY , ANGOLA

According to Aristotle' s theory a basic function of tragedy is a catharsis of the emotions , that is purging of inner disturbances through artistic expression . In a similar vain , an old Negro woman remarket to me : " I' d sing them old moans untill I got happy " .

The futility and injustice of a country Negro environment have produced a need of catharsis through songs .

The drive toward such expression has been much more intense on Southern Prison Farms " HELL- HOLES " like ANGOLA , the state Penitentiary in Louisiana .

Back in 1937 times was hard and work was hard , the boss was very bad , the immates they where very cruel sometimes themself

The boys in Angola has got to rise and fly .

Tracks

1. Hogman Maxey : Duckin' and dodgin' ( g , vo )
2. John Henry Jaakson : My baby got to go ( g , vo) + A. C. Craig ( g)
3. Otis Webster : Penitentiary blues ( g , vo )
4. Guitar Welsh : Lonesome blues ( g , vo )
5. Jesse Butcher : They' ll miss me when I' gone ( vo , harm ) + Guitar Welch ( g )
6. Hogman Maxey : Rock me Mama ( g , vo )
7. Guitar Welch : Boll Weevil blues ( g . vo )
8. Hogman Maxey : Hard headed woman ( g , vo )
9. Otis Webster : Standing at the Greyhound bus station ( g , vo )
10. John Henry Jackson : Tell me pretty baby ( g ,vo) + A.C Craig (g)
11. Otis Webster : Ball and chain for me ( g , vo )
12. Guitar Welch : Bad luck blues ( g , vo )
13. The Cool Cats : Goin' home to my old used to be
The Cool Cats are :
Arthur Williams
Edward Davenport
Robert C . Milton
Phillip Amour
Fred Hollingsworth
Junior Jones
Robert Young

BALL and CHAIN FOR ME

You oughta heard that big bell ring.
Got a friend in prison wears ball and chain .
I' m goin' tell him , I' m goin' tell him baby , what you done .
Let me tell you baby , oh tell your soul ,
Don' t think I ' ll never be in love no mo' ,
I want to tell you , baby , ball and chain for me .


Format Vinyl LP
Made in France
Label : Storyville
No : ST 21008 (125) Stereo G.U
Size 107
Bitrate 320   HERE


1 comment:

  1. πολυ καλο φιλε.
    συνεχισε με το ιδιο παθος
    με τρελλαμενες μουσικαρες.δεν εχει ορια η μουσικη.ευχαριστω για το σχολιο για τα ποιηματα.
    ελπιζω να σου αρεσανε πραγματικα.
    φιλουμπες...
    rock n roll..

    ReplyDelete